Thursday, September 2, 2010

Settle In




I love the title of Ram Dass's latest film.  "Fierce Grace."  I listened to it as I lay on the floor of my loft one Sunday morning, my ear next to the internal speaker of my laptop.  Actually, that was the perfect way to hear him.   Occasionally, I propped up on my elbow to watch the images and enjoy those spirited blue eyes of his.  But, mostly, I listened.  I marinated in that voice, those words, the deliberate pace.

There is a joy in this man.  It has always been there, and no less today.  Drastically affected by his stroke, very much compromised in his physical capacities, he insists:  This is the most important teaching I've received.  I'm really learning.  I'm learning to settle in.

To this moment (smile).  And now this moment (smile again).  And this moment.

And, eyes twinkling, he tells me with absolute and utterly lighthearted conviction, it's okay.

What love lives at the root of this fierce grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment